As we head into the warmer months, poison oak can become a real concern for your family and your pets if you happen to brush up against the oily plant. If your dog is affected, their skin will appear red and inflamed. The challenge comes when you can’t see the rash and you pet your dog, because then the urushiol oil from the poison oak will transfer to your skin and can cause an itchy, painful rash that can last up to several weeks.
But don’t worry, you can still go play and explore in the outdoors, just be sure your medicine cabinet has a bottle of Tecnu in it. Tecnu is a skin cleanser that will remove poison oak, ivy and sumac if used within 2-8 hours after exposure. That means the urushiol oil from the poison oak can be removed before a rash even has the chance to begin! This stuff is a miracle-worker if you have sensitivities to any of those oily plants that cover the forest floor. READ MORE